Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Roots


Don't freak out... It's only my hair.

My hair is naturally a dark ash blonde or if your southern dirty dish water blonde.  For years I have dyed and fried my hair.  Red, brown, and every shade of blonde imaginable have taken residence on my scalp for over 10 years.  However I feel that the time has come to let my roots show. I also see my roots as a line of victory inching further and further down my head.  I have also tried for 10 years to grow my hair out past my shoulders.  No matter how hard I try I seem to freak out just as my hair grazes the tops of my shoulders and on impulse chop it all off.  

This is not to say that long hair is better than short hair or natural colored hair is more beautiful than dyed hair but, for me I want to return to my roots.  I am starting a new adventure in August, going to graduate school, and I want to start it fresh and clean. Because of this urge to start a new my will power will stay strong.  Now matter how ridiculous I look or how hot my head gets my hair will prevail! 

I think it is important everyone once in a while to "go back to your roots".  Remind yourself where you came from of the kid you once were.  It was only when I started listening to other people did I start losing the person that I am. It is not a matter of what people think of you but what you think of your self. As Eleanor Roosevelt once said Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.  Remember your roots and you won't give your consent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment