Let me start by saying if you are easily offended then 1) How have you made it this far? 2) You should stop reading now.
Alright. Are they gone? Good.
A lot of people that I know have died recently. Not anyone that I am directly connected to but friends of family, distant family of family and family of friends have passed on. By unspoken law I am bound to attend whatever services there are and this is not a problem for me. I understand and most of the time want to be there for the friend or the family member. I say most of the time because some of the time I have to go to a viewing.
For those of you not in the know a viewing is a funereal event where the body of the dead person is put on display and people can come and pay their last respects and make sure the person is actually dead. (just in case they are trying to pull a fast one) Once again I completely understand why a viewing might be necessary event within the grieving process. However, it creeps me the hell out.
First, there is the space issue. You are standing in a room talking to the other people there, having a conversation about what your plans are the next weekend and there is a dead person in the room with you! 2 feet away from you! Second, is the conversation. It never fails that someone will utter the 3 most awkward words to say about a dead person. "He/She looks good." They're dead! How do you look good dead? If he looked bad would you still have the viewing? Finally, the food. Cookies? Really? "Hmmm my appetite has suddenly been stirred by that coffin over there. I sure could use a cookie."
When I go, I want a big party with lots of drinking. At least then, the more people drink the more it will make sense that my dead body is hanging out with them at the party.
Or maybe I'll just get cremated.
Hello, Hell? Hand basket for one please.
i have never been to a viewing or funeral, and so i have a macabre desire to go and check one out. but i fully get that it is a totally creepy traditin we have. i like this post. more please.
ReplyDeleteUgh, I totally agree with you Leen. Viewings are the worst idea ever. It's like the pre-party to the funeral. Maybe I should go and eugugalize.
ReplyDelete